Friday, December 4, 2009

013 fear of cars



It's 18h01, and the heater is making all sorts of noises.

Yeah, I am not sure what it's trying to tell me, but every day around this time, it starts to cackle and pop and then after a few minutes it goes back to sleep leaving the room nice and toasty.

I can't believe it's Friday again, which means that Monday is almost here, and then it'll be Friday once more, and I'll have no idea of where the time went. I don't really have any plans, except for doing some Xmas shopping, but other than that, I've got nothing going on. Of course, I won't go into that because, well, it's not that interesting for you to hear that I have no plans, now is it?

What I will talk about is Ben Harper. I was thinking of who to introduce this week because it has been a while since I talked about my influences, and Ben Harper came to mind. I haven't really listened to his new stuff though, but his first two albums, especially the second one, were awesome. I probably should check out his recent material, but the first two albums were solo performances, whereas later he's with a band. I especially like his slide technique, something which I can't really do, and well, never really fit my style, but when you hear it done right, it's really nice.

The song I am posting tonight will be a little different from the samples of Ben Harper I am going to post, but these songs are beautiful and you should really listen to them. If you like these songs, I strongly suggest you listen to more of him because he is amazing.







I just realized that all three songs came from his second, and I couldn't really think of any songs from his first that I would post, so maybe it's only his second album that really affected, or it could be that I just forgot - it has been a few years since I listened to him. The last video is of him with Jack Johnson, another artist that I know more by name and not music. I was told once that one of my songs sounded like his, but until I listen to him I can't really say. Anyway, before I head on to my song, here are two links, one for Ben Harper and the other for Jack Johnson.

Ben Harper

Jack Johnson

Well, I wrote this song (see above) or this part of it this week. One night earlier this week I was home and this song came out of nowhere - I like those - but I didn't have the time to really record it until last night, and I'm glad I did because the song had been stuck in my head until then. As for the meaning, I would say escape would be it. It seems that many of my songs are about escaping or running away, or going to somewhere quiet where there are lights or cars or city noise. Maybe I'm trying to tell myself something? Anyway, this will definitely be one of the songs on this blog that I will try to work on for performing live because I think this could be a very good song if well rehearsed. I am not sure if I will change or add anything extra to the music because as I mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes songs sound OK as they are even if they are simple, and if you go and add something more, it could completely ruin it.

Well, I should get going because it's getting late. If you ever like a song of mine please feel free to leave a comment and let me know. I would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment