Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wide Open Skies



It's 17h59. I haven't been outside yet, so I don't really know what the weather is like, but this morning it was pretty cold, and I forgot my mittens!

Well, things are pretty much back to normal; I am referring to my cold, high fever, sore muscles from not playing sports enough and then my bicycle accident and broken bottle of sake. I have had three bad things happen to me, so there should be something positive to come, and I think I may have already received one - the deadline for my paper has been extended to the end of March, so I will have a lot more time to work on it than expected. I won't go into too much detail because for many of you who may be reading this it gets quite technical, but my paper will focus on modal auxiliary verbs and futurity, and whether the structure Modal Auxiliary + Have + -ED is acceptable or not in a future context, especially the modal auxiliary should. However, despite the extension, it may be in my best interest to get it finished as soon as possible because if things work out as I hope they will, I will become considerably busier in January, so I really should clear my schedule as soon as possible.

Anyway, enough about that, this blog is not exactly for me to talk about my life per se, but rather to introduce to you the Internet my music while keeping a record of my music samples, because so far that is what I've been posting here. Speaking of which, the song for today called 'Wide Open Skies' was another of many of spontaneous melodies that just came out of the sky so to speak. I forget what I was doing at the time, but I think I was recording something else when this caught my attention. I have to say though that it sounds a lot like Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam, one of my early influences. Actually, I was thinking of doing this later, but hey, what the hell. Here are some of my influences, and I will try my best to put them in order.

Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Oasis
Blur
Foo Fighters
Dave Matthews Band
Ben Harper
Rufus Wainwright
Radiohead
Coldplay
The Strokes
John Mayer
Jazz

I know that there probably have been many more. Also, Jazz refers to a countless assortment of musicians, ranging from Stan Getz to Django to Chet Baker to Duke Ellington, just to name a few. Also, and I will leave this for another day, I was not influenced by all the music that each of those groups produced, but rather at different times in my life, certain albums in particular stood out for me. Honestly, and this is probably a little strange considering I love playing writing and playing music so much, I don't listen to much music now. I sometimes hear things on Youtube or other sites, but really I do not listen to music as I used to.

Well, I think I'll leave it at that tonight. I hope you all like the song. If you want to leave a comment in Japanese, English or French, here is my address:

sneakergroove(a)hotmail.com

Cheers or Tchao, as they say in French.
alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment